Sunday, March 8, 2009

Americana......

When I found out that I would have the opportunity to spend six months in Europe I was ecstatic. In true Fotine form I had visions of what it would be like. Visiting many places and meeting new people. They of course would love me! How could they not? After all, I was European.

This is not at all the case. In fact, I seem to have quite the opposite affect on people. If there is ever a point when I do actually get into a conversation with someone the question of ethnicity always seems to surface and my response is always met with skepticism. When I tell them I am Greek-American it seems as though the light goes on and they respond with, “Ah….Americana…not Greek" (apply any EU accent).

I am of course appalled by this. My whole life it is all I’ve known. In fact, when ever people introduce me, no matter the situation personal or profession it is always the same. “This is Fotine, she is Greek.” I even have my own feelings on people who claim to be something they are clearly not. People tend to be so excited to make a connection with you that I often have conversations like the one below.

The “Italian”: “I can’t believe you are Greek, I am Italian.”

Fotine the Greek: "Really, what part of Italy are your parents from?”

The “Italian”: “My parents were born in Connecticut.”

Fotine the Greek: “Oh, I see.”

The “Italian”: “But my great-grandmother on my mother’s side was second-generation Italian and had the best meatball recipe.”

Fotine the Greek: “That is interesting logic. I make the best Pad Thai and if I apply your logic, well I guess that would make me Thai.”

So yes, I have been known to snub those who claim they are something they are not. But me - the receiver of the ethnic snub? I grimace at the thought of it!

1. My parents made me work at the restaurant rather than joining any sports teams or letting me hang out with my friends on half-days!

2. I am endlessly tortured at all family events for being in my thirties and single. In fact, there are still questions about why I actually wore black to my sister’s engagement party and if I was crying tears of joy!!

3. I eat lamb on EVERY holiday!!!

4. This year my mother wanted to have a Yankee Swap, so she wrapped up our gifts and when ever we chose the wrong one she said, “No not that one”!!!!

5. I went to Greek school after American school. I can conjugate verbs DAMN IT!!!!!

Don’t get me wrong. I am proud to be an American and love living in the states. But in my heart I am Greek.

Depending on the birth-place of your family members you have the privilege of obtaining a certain countries passport. In fact, people even ask. “Do you have a Greek passport?” ” No”, I reply. “Then you of course you cannot claim to be Greek. You have an US passport – Americana.”

I am happy to report in six months I will be the proud recipient of a Greek passport. When the skeptics ask I will of course proudly display my passport and say, “yah that’s right”.

So yes, there has been an adjustment period to this whole “I’m moving to Europe!”, thing. It is not at all as glamorous as it was in my mind. But I am adjusting.

2 comments: