Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Yes, I said a table for one!

I found this little Italian restaurant that I was hoping would be great (it was) around the corner from my new flat. When I walked in not one person could be bothered to help me. When this older gentleman finally walked over he said, “Table for two?” and I responded, “No just one thank you”. “Not for two”, he responded. To which I replied, “No just one thank you”. He looked at me sympathetically and then spoke in his native tongue to the waitress about where exactly they were going to put me. This seemed to really perplex them. I mean all the tables where set for two. Where would they possibly seat me at all those (I counted 7) empty tables for two?

Then they seemed to be going back and forth about who was going to wait on me. I chose a table and made myself at home - didn’t win me any points - they made me move.

Fifteen minutes later when the waitress finally graced me with her presence I asked, “Do you speak English”?
W: “No”.
F: “Ok, do you have any specialties”?
W: “No, it is all good. You want fish”?
F: “No, not really".
W: “Let me show you we have a great fish plate, spicy but tasty”!
F: “Something without fish”?
W: “No, sorry I don’t know”.
F: “Ok, great I will have the Gnocchi”.

And…..I never saw the young girl with dirty hair again. All the other customers however did. She buzzed around laughing and getting customers their wine, but they were all at tables for two. By the way, she did speak English. I witnessed this as she spoke to and waited on other customers. They of course were at tables that were set for and filled by two. I still wonder. Did she understand the American saying on her t-shirt? “Have it your way.” Clearly that did not translate into my experience. Or maybe it did? She was having it her way.

When my meal was ready it just remained on the counter then back in the kitchen and then on the counter and then back in the kitchen. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! I will just get it myself.

As I sit here sipping my Mai Tai a couple of days later at this great Thai food restaurant also around the corner from my new flat, I thought about my table for one experience and the older man who kept staring at me sympathetically (but couldn’t be bothered to bring me my meal) and at one point even said “Such a nice girl” (apply EU accent) as he shook his head. I had to wonder, what is wrong with everyone? I was completely content enjoying my meal (I love fresh basil). Why do I spend so much time convincing people (especially my mother) about how I love my life and experiencing new things? Why does my mother say she will not be able to rest in her grave as she clutches her chest? By the way my mother is healthy (even though once a year she claims she almost died from an illness or disease that no one can diagnose) and only 50.

As I ponder the inner workings of the mind, I can only think of a quote out of a book that my friend gave me.

“…even God is single, get over it”.

Here is what else I have experienced while in Amsterdam.

1. The Dutch know a thing or two about how to make a functional grocery basket. They have wheels and a handle. This makes things much easier unlike the baskets in the US. I never just pick up one or two things and I end up barely making it to the counter with my overflowing basket that is hurting my arm! This allows for a much more pleasant experience….must have done some usability testing prior to launch.

2. Traditional Chinese Massage Centers are not AT ALL like massage centers in the states.

3. Infomercials run all day on Sunday, over and over and over. I’ve decided I absolutely do need a “Halogen Oven”. It works better than a microwave because your food does not come out soggy and faster than an oven because of the vortex! What you want – how and when you want it!

4. Europeans like to take coffee breaks in the middle of 1 hour meetings and for some reason I have developed a twitch.

A special note to the IDEXX Digital Development Team - IDEXX-PACS 3.0.48 is now officially living in Amsterdam!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, you are hilarious! I know I'd fit right in over there based on #4 alone. Love the quote about God by the way, good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the time in college I went to a pub in England and had a couple of Newcastle pints. After a half hour the bartender said 'don't worry, some nice girl will come up and talk to you eventually'. Which, of course, made me thing "really??". and then "wait, what kind of bar is this?...." Next time ask for a table for two and put your purse on the empty chair and order it a glass of water.

    ReplyDelete